Sunday 27 March 2011

Covert American yarn and hook sizes to Australian

OK, so I live "down-under" and I'm not primitive but Googling just about always leads me to American sites where they talk about worsted weight or sport weight yarns and tell me to use an F or a J hook (or any other random letter of the alphabet). Sometimes they tell me to use 4 ply and I get all excited because hey, I KNOW what that is! Now, 4 ply yarn here in Australia (and New Zeland) is baby wool. So I look at the pattern and think to myself that no idiot would make a ladies hat out of baby wool unless they had way too much time on their hands and head back to google and click "next".
Some times I think that OK, I'll try 8 ply and use a size 5 hook (following the suggestion on the wool wrapper) .... the woman's beanie I made using that method would probably fit a 3 year old. I followed the pattern exactly! I am continually modifying patterns I find on the internet to accomodate my down-under brain, hooks and yarn but eventually I get the result I want.

Viola! 
Below is the correct wool weights/plys and hook sizes.



lace weight, superfine, ultra fine, baby weight is 2-3 ply in UK/NZ/Aus

fingering weight, fine, baby weight is 3-4 ply in UK/NZ/Aus

sport or light weight is 4ply in UK/NZ/Aus

DK or medium is 8 ply in UK/NZ/Aus

worsted or heavy weight is 10 ply or double knitting in UK/NZ/Aus

Aran is 12-ply or triple knitting in UK/NZ/Aus

bulky yarn is 14 ply, double double in UK/NZ/Aus



Crochet Hook Conversion Chart
US Hook Sizes Canada/UK Hook Sizes AUS/NZ/Metric Hook Sizes
0 14 2.0 mm
B/1 13 2.25 mm
C/2 12 2.75 mm
C/2 11 3.0 mm
D/3 10 3.25 mm
E/4 - 3.5 mm
F/5 9 3.75 mm
G/6 8 4.0 mm
7 7 4.5 mm
H/8 6 5.0 mm
I/9 5 5.5 mm
J/10 4 6.0 mm
K/10 ½ 3 6.5 mm
10.75 2 7.0 mm
- 1 7.5 mm
L/11 0 8.0 mm
M/13 00 9.0 mm
N/15 000 10.0 mm
O/17 - 12.0 mm
P/19 - 15.0 mm
Q/19 - 16.0 mm
S/35 - 19.0 mm
50 - 25.0 mm
 


4 comments:

  1. Bella you are an angel I have been trying to work out the different weights and you have done it for me a very big thankyou
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lincraft have a yarn called “ Ficio Luscious Yarn,
    100% Polyester Yarn” but I can’t work out what ply it is. I just want to crochet a scarf - the pattern uses “fingering weight”. I’ll give it a go but have no idea if it’s a good match. If you have any ideas, I’d be glad to hear them. I’m in Sydney Aus. Rarely get around to knitting or crochet, so not very experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winny, the yarn you have looks like it’s 8 ply so it’s not really a good match. Fingering weight is baby wool ... 4 ply. Good luck with your project 😊 you might need 2 balls of the Ficio to complete it.

      Delete